Today I went outstation to work with my colleague, Shan. And we met another colleague, Simon in Melaka. Then, we went in one car to Batu Pahat for outlet inspection.
Simon is an English educated 40 years old man. He speaks Southern P. Malaysia Hokkien, Mandarin, and English.
During the trip, due to run out of conversation topic again, and I asked him, how does he say traffic light in Mandarin. 红绿灯 (hong2 lu4 deng1), or 红青灯(hong2 qing1 deng1). I was taught to say 红绿灯 when I was in Butterworth, and it's set in my mind. But Klang Valley and Southern P.Malaysia peoples call it 红青灯.
He said, why people say it 红粒灯(hong2 li4 deng1)? is that because the shape of the traffic light? hahahaha....he could not imagine that's different word. We laughed till we drop. An English educated Simon. He can't produce 鱼 (fish, yu2). He pronounced it like 倚(yi2). hahhaaaha
No comments:
Post a Comment