Jul 15, 2007

What's alcoholism?

Hey All,


Please help yourself by going through the article below, especially ah Nam. Please check it
out if you were not sure about yourself, whether you are alcoholic. This source is provided by Patrick, who said I am alcoholic.


What are the signs and symptoms of alcohol abuse and alcoholism?

The Mayo Clinic provides a list of signs and symptoms that indicate that an abusive relationship to alcohol exists:

  • Drinking alone or in secret
  • Not remembering conversations or commitments—sometimes referred to as "blacking out"
  • Making a ritual of having drinks before, with or after dinner and becoming annoyed when this ritual is disturbed or questioned
  • Losing interest in activities and hobbies that used to bring pleasure
  • Irritability as usual drinking time nears, especially if alcohol isn't available
  • Keeping alcohol in unlikely places at home, at work or in the car
  • Gulping drinks, ordering doubles, becoming intoxicated intentionally to feel good or drinking to feel "normal"
  • Having legal problems or problems with relationships, employment or finances

According to The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, the following four additional symptoms indicate that an alcohol abuse problem has developed into an addiction to alcohol:

  • Craving – A strong need, or urge, to drink
  • Loss of control – Not being able to stop drinking once drinking has begun
  • Physical dependence – Withdrawal symptoms, such as nausea, sweating, shakiness, and anxiety after stopping drinking
  • Tolerance – The need to drink greater amounts of alcohol to get "high.

How do I know if I have a drinking problem?

If you suspect you may be developing a drinking problem, ask yourself these four questions:

  • Do you need a drink as soon as you get up?
  • Do you feel guilty about your drinking?
  • Do you think you need to cut back on your alcohol consumption, but cannot?
  • Are you annoyed when other people make comments about your drinking habits?

If your honest answer to two or more of these questions is yes, than you probably have an alcohol problem and should seek help right away. For information on alcohol dependence treatment, see Helpguide’s Alcohol Abuse and Addiction: Self-Help, Prevention, and Treatment Options.

Source from http://www.helpguide.org/mental/alcohol_abuse_alcoholism_signs_effects_treatment.htm#problem_drinking

5 comments:

ahnam said...

b4 i take this test, i can asure u that i m not a alcoholic, not even close..!!

ahnam said...

btw, darling, i am back, u can see me online again. all the time, just miss u too much neh

Va:L said...

Hey Ah Nam,

Before I went through the test, I told my friend that I am not alcoholic too hahahah, as u said, I am not even close to be alcoholic... but frankly speaking...I got most of the point. Especially the time I came back from Europe. Now, the situation goes better, but..I still got some of the points. Holly Shit! I gotta keep it on!!!! hahahahha

ahnam said...

my answer to all the question are no, no, no , n no, honestly..

i like , and enjoy drinking a lot, but i can stop drinking anytime, without having any problem

hey girl, don't get confuse about enjoy have a glass on hand, an addicted to alcohol ya.

YES, i love drinking...!!

Va:L said...

OIC, that's why i always say you are the zheong mun yan.... yes....ur explanation make me clear to myself now, and i know myself better now.

It's enjoy, not addicted!