I always have a dilemma when my siblings are looking for job.
First of all, I might need to explain to friends who do not know my background, and some stories.
I am working for family business. When we were young, our grandparents, always told us to join the company when we grow up.
Now, we grow up. And I think we are as competitive as other graduates.
After graduating, I worked at Citibank, and then I quit, because my grandpa passed away. and there is first 7th, second 7th, third 7th and more that required to go back Penang to pray for him. At the point of time, I was with Citibank for 2 months only, and as a new employee I was not able to take the off day for the ceremony.
So, I decided to quit, and my dad invited me to join the company. Well...I joined it since then. It was August in Year 2003. It's about 5 years soon. Time flies.
I was discriminated by my second aunt, who said " ha..haha....University grad and end up at Teik Senn (our company name), so what for you studied overseas for your degree? You could join Teik Senn after form 5."
Great point! And she didn't aware of the new blood in the company with knowledge can bring the company to next level. Well, we proof it!
Now, back to the topic. Whenever my siblings are looking for job, my cousin will encourage not to take them in. He prefers them to gain some experience elsewhere and then come to work later to avoid too many family members, which might get some non-performing ones.
I do agree with him at some point. However, I can't tell this to my family.
See? My siblings might think I want to grab all of my dad's share in the company. Or I do not want them to share any benefit from the company.
I have had big argument with my dad before because of the company. He always asked me about work things at home. It's really stress, and I couldn't get away from work 24 hours. I have gone crazy. Well, I managed to recover the good relationship between myself and dad two years ago after I moved out from home. It released me. I then could sleep better, eat better, and treat my family better by not having so bad temper from the stress.
Frankly speaking, I am stuck at the company, and I wish to quit. I do not want the share or the title of director in the company in the future or money or share. And there is no benefit to join this company. It cannot fill my career path satisfaction. I believe that I have the capability to earn by myself, and I could have more (X3X5 like jackpot) than just "korek" from the same "lubang" (company).
I am now sandwich between my cousin and my siblings.
Ha...another thing...My sis/my brother they want to come into same department as I do, Marketing Department. My dad wants me to train my sis/my brother later. Well...I do not mind to do it, just pray to god that, it would not affects our relationship in the future. As I appreciate, and love our current relationship. I knew my sister always love to complain, and it might hurt our relationship eventually. Our current relationship is very very very close to each other. I hope work, money and job title will not change the quality of our relationship. I do not want to have a sibling who is just money minded and does not care of parents, and siblings.
I hope to keep good relationship with my family, ALWAYS. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!
Now, I am waiting for Wayne to be "sang seng" and join the company later. It's time for me to leave later. I need my own life! It's enough to me! I do not feel sorry to dad, as I have put in my best effort in the company.
2 comments:
Sometimes, it's hard to make a decision whether it should suit your parents' will or to find your own life path. Most importantly you have to make sure your dad understand without jeopardizing your family ties (which is the most important one). Eventhough it takes days, months or years, you have to make them understand that you have your own way to live your life. Take it slowly. Sometimes your dad might be right, he wants somebody thrustworthy (like you!) to take over whatever he has worked his life for. Whatever it is, good luck to you! Luckily you have good brother(s) to back you up, haha. -Wei Sin-
Hey Wei Sin, it's great to see your message here. Well, my brother can't back me up yet! Joshua is a designer, he has better opportunity out there! Wayne, he has endless study time, just like Alston :P I am waiting for him until my tooth drops.
I talked to my dad already. He wasn't happy about it of course. But then, I will talk to him again and again. Just like I told them the benefit of old folk house. Not to feel so bad about it, look from another angles. Just like those old folk in Canada, they enjoy so much together with friends :P hehe I hope they have more activities when they get older.
Post a Comment